Welcome back to term 1, 2015 at Creekside Kinder – 9 College.
2015 will once again be an exciting and busy year. The capital works project begins this term which will culminate in a purpose built performing arts centre, primary science area and a community facility. This will add to the college’s already excellent facilities and we look forward to having our own auditorium for performances etc.
Literacy and Numeracy are fundamental curriculum areas and enjoy specific time allocations to ensure students access every component of the domains. Current data indicates that Creekside students are either at or above national standards. Technology further enhances the delivery of the curriculum, with students able to access IPads in the junior classrooms and IPads/Laptops in the middle years, with students in years 7 – 9 part of a 1:1 laptop programme.
Science will continue to be offered to students from Prep through to year 9. This curriculum priority gives students the opportunity to develop analytical and creative skills. The Arts focus this year will be on the major production. All areas of the Arts program will combine to ensure students have every opportunity to be involved in the production on some level, whether it be backstage, props, music or in the actual performance itself. French will be introduced for the first time in years Prep and 1 and we look forward to whole school participation in the Language Other Than English program in the future.
The Creekside Instructional Model was developed in 2014, with all teaching staff involved in the developmental and implementation stages. The model is an effective tool in ensuring that all students access the curriculum using best teaching practice. The model is attached for your information.
The Wellbeing Team at Creekside is a multi-faceted team responsible for the overall welfare of students and their families. Teachers will make referrals to the team if they feel a student’s progress is in any way impacted. Parents are encouraged to develop a close relationship with the class/homegroup teacher, sharing any relevant information to ensure the student’s opportunity to reach their potential is optimised.
In Term 1 elections for School Council will be conducted. This is a great opportunity for parents to be part of the decision making process of the school. The objectives of the school council are:
- Assist in the efficient governance of the school
- Ensure students’ best interests are primary
- Enhance the educational opportunities for students
- Ensure compliance with relevant legislation and regulations
The overall functions of the school council include:
- Establishing the broad direction and vision of the school within the school's community
- Participating in the development and monitoring of the school strategic plan
- Developing, reviewing and updating school policies
- Developing, reviewing and monitoring the Student Engagement Policy and the School Dress Code
- Raising funds for school-related purposes
- Approving the annual budget and monitoring expenditure
- Maintaining the school’s grounds and facilities
- Entering into contracts (e.g. cleaning, construction work)
- Reporting annually to the school community and to DEECD
- Generally stimulating interest in the school in the wider community
To become a school council member the following attributes are beneficial:
- You need to be keen, but you don’t need to be an expert
- You need to like people and be able to work in a team
- You do need to be prepared to commit the time needed to ensure the work of council gets done
- School councils work best when they have people from a variety of backgrounds and have different experiences
I would encourage you to consider school council, it can be a very rewarding experience. There will be seven parent vacancies consisting of: five two year vacancies and two one year vacancies. Nominations will be called for during the term and notified in the school newsletter and on school notice boards.
At Creekside we consistently refer to the Creekside family. Whilst our family is a large one, the same principles of family life apply, namely that we care for one another and adhere to the values of the school: Respect, Honesty, Responsibility and Acceptance. Every student at Creekside is valued and cared for; the partnerships we develop with everyone important to the student are paramount. In partnership we can achieve amazing feats for all our students. To new and existing families, welcome to the Creekside family and another fantastic year of learning and fun.
Creekside motto: Learning for Life.
Learn more about Creekside